Monday, March 5, 2012

Mayweather promises to be aggressive vs Cotto

ayweather vs Cotto
Undefeated American boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. promises to be aggressive when he challenges Puerto Rico's Miguel Cotto for the World Boxing Association junior middleweight belt on May 5 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. It will only be the second time in his career that Mayweather fought above the welterweight division. He previously won the World Boxing Council junior middleweight title after beating Oscar De La Hoya via split decision in May 2007. Mayweather admitted that fighting at a higher weight class will be a “challenge” for him.

"Am I going to be in a very, very aggressive style? I believe so," Mayweather told Boxing Scene.

"I just have to see how the fight plays out, but I'm going to approach it in a very, very aggressive way and go out there and press the attack early," he added.

Mayweather is noted for his defensive skills, but he said he has become more offensive-minded, especially in his last fight against Victor Ortiz in September 2011.

"As you can see in my last fight, as each round went on, I started throwing more and more combinations because I feel that every fighter comes out strong the first, second and third round," he said. "But there's nine more."

Moreover, Mayweather noted that Cotto may become tentative against him because the Puerto Rican boxer has been knocked out twice: by Antonio Margarito and Manny Pacquiao.

"I feel like if a guy has hit the canvas before, it's in his mind that it can happen again," Mayweather said in a separate Boxing Scene report.

Mayweather will have to move up to junior middleweight division to fight Cotto, but the undefeated fighter is unconcerned about this.

"I feel that my hands are faster, I'm the better counter-puncher. I've shown that I have a great chin," he said.

"I don't have to go in the fight weighing 154-pounds. I'm a guy that's blessed with the ability to go up and down and beat the best fighters they have in the sport of boxing," Mayweather added.

It will be Mayweather's second time fighting at the junior middleweight division. In 2007, he defeated Oscar De La Hoya via split decision to win the World Boxing Council junior middleweight belt.

No comments:

Post a Comment