Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Cotto his power and strength will beat Mayweather

Mayweather vs Cotto
Current WBA junior middleweight champion Miguel Cotto is confident that his power and strength will be a major factor when he fights undefeated American star Floyd Mayweather. The Mayweather vs Cotto fight will be on May 5 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Cotto will defend his World Boxing Association (WBA) junior middleweight title against Mayweather, who will be fighting at the 154-pound weight division for the first time since 2007.

“There’s no doubt I have the power to win this fight. If anything, my power has strengthened,” Cotto said in a RingTV interview. “That will make the difference.”

Cotto also believes the weight will be a major factor since Mayweather has not fought at the 154-pound division for a long time, whereas he has gotten used to that weight.

“No one should forget that I am very comfortable at 154 pounds,” Cotto said. “That will be a huge asset going into this match.”

In Mayweather’s only other fight at junior middleweight, he defeated Oscar De La Hoya via split decision in May 2007. At the time, it was the biggest win of Mayweather’s career and solidified his status as a superstar boxer in the United States.

But Cotto is not fazed by his status as the underdog against Mayweather, one of the pound-for-pound kings of boxing.

“I know Mayweather fans are very insistent that he only wins. But Floyd hasn’t fought what he will be fighting come May 5,” Cotto said

“On that day, Floyd is going to fight the best opponent he has ever been in a ring with, and the fighter is me. I can’t wait for this one,” he added.

Mayweather disagrees that the weight division will play a role in their bout, however.

“I think with me it really don’t play a major factor, but with some fighters it does play a major factor, because some guys can push certain guys around,” Mayweather said.

“But you know me; I think my skills are on a different level from any other fighter, so when it’s all said and done, skills pay the bills... And I don’t really think weight is going to play a major key. I think it’s going to come down to the skills,” he added.

No comments:

Post a Comment